Thursday, November 6, 2008

Deep water and deep thoughts

Have you ever thought about how long you could tread water if you had to? Not to be morbid, but mortality has been a topic around the office lately. My good friend Jens lost his father and another friend lost her grandfather...and another good friend struggles with cancer.

I can remember when my own father died––it was very sad and strange. As much as I wanted to talk with him about death and comfort him, I couldn't. It was if my dad drifted to the middle of the ocean and thought he could keep treading. He was just a man and could only tread the water for so long before he got tired and his body just quit.

I don't want to go out like that. I hope and pray that when my time comes I will have a smile on my face before and after my last breath. I have had a great run and God has truly blessed me, but I know that there is much more to come. My goal is to go out in charge (not in charge of people or things, but of my decision). I don't want a grave circumstance to thrust me into faith in my last days. I have been studying a good bit lately and agree with the premise that you either accept God or deny Him. There is not really any middle ground. You either do, or you don't.

Who really knows how we will handle things when the chips are down? I just hope and pray that we can have a good conversation, share a cold drink or a cup of joe, and talk about the great times from our past, and the good times to come—and truly look at fear with faith and trust.

Before you face the deep water, I hope and pray that you will spend some good time with some deep thoughts.

No comments: