Thursday, August 28, 2008

Make it home on time, and change the world.

Usually these entries deal with travel in some form or another, but not this time. After writing the entry about my trip to see Bill Strickland, I started thinking about some bigger picture stuff. Bill's model seems to be based on treating others with respect. That is pretty basic, huh?

I am a dreamer, and want to be a "world-changer". But I can't even show up on time for dinner with my wife and kids! With the political discussion and conventions happening right now, I am somewhat discouraged. I still hear, see and smell the same stuff coming out of Washington. I might not be able to impact a world leader, but if I can figure out how to make it home for dinner on time, and do what I say I'm going to do--and lead by example, then maybe I have some hope.

What the heck is going on? We need to get back to the basics! We need to be on time. We need to work on our marriages. We need to instill basic values in our children. We need to take care of our homes. We need to be good to our neighbors. We need to stand for who we are. We need to be thankful. We need to stand for truth. We need to get over ourselves, refocus and get back to treating one another with graciousness, kindness and caring--not because there is a buck attached, but because it is the right thing to do.

If we all could make it home for dinner on time...mow our own grass, instill values in our children, be good to one another, and do what we say...Maybe together we can make a difference. And maybe that difference will come in the form of new leadership choices for the future--not just political leaders, but leaders in the home, in business, in the church, in the courthouse, in the statehouse. Don't get me wrong, I am not doom and gloom with the leadership choices we have, I just think things have gotten too complicated and we are missing the point. If the objective is to raise millions of dollars and somehow spend more than we raise--I think we have that figured out. But if the objective is make something better than we found it, I think we have some work to do.

Pay attention, get involved, take a stand, place your vote, but if nothing else...just make it home on time for dinner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I received this advice from an expert a few years back...BE-HERE- NOW. No matter where you are, be there. If you are working, be at work. If you at home, be at home (not thinking about work)

It is impossible to have balance between work and home, but you CAN have harmony!

It’s a simple concept, just not easy to implement.